Conclusion

As I look back over the events that have taken place over last few months I think it is fair to say that neither me or my colleagues fully understood how much work, comittment and dedication would be needed from us, in order to make this project a success. We were faced with a lot of difficulties very early on in the project. Things progressively got harder as the months went on however, we managed to over come the situations.
During the initial stages of the assignement we were all put into groups and chose from a selection of eight story lines which one we would work on. Everything seemeed to be going well however, as the end of term one approached everyone in the group except myself and Alex Bedminster had dropped out. This became a big problem for Alex and I because as a group we had deligated work amonst ourselves to ensure that everyone contributed equally towards the project. Without the effort of the other team members, the responsibility of completing the project fell solely on myself and Alex.
After a lot of discussion Alex and I decided that we both had enough motivation and passion to continue the project. This was a lot harder to acomplish now but we had not anticipated how hard it would be until we delivered our first pitch to the class. Our main criticism was that the story line was not clear enough and this was due in part to the fact that Kanika Andrews, the original director and story writer of the Glitch was no longer part of the team. Things were not looking good and our tutor wanted to drop our project. In a desperate attempt to salvage the work we had already put in, we began to rebuild the story line with the help of Rahul Allen, and completely changed the outlook of our project from negative to positive over the Christmas break.
The onset of term two brought about more problems for us as essays and dissertations made it harder for us to keep up with the momentum of the project. To keep up we had to work literally day and night. We were overstreatched with the work but our passion and dedication kept us going. For the first time we could see that out project was coming together and it was a very exciting time for us. Despite all of the pressures of dissertation and time constraints, we still managed to meet up on a weekly basis for progress meetings. The end of term two presented a more positive outlook as our tutors were very impressed with the quantity and quality of work that had been accomplished by such a small group. They were suprised at how hard we had worked and were keen to see what the finished product would look like, as were we.
Term three was a much more relaxed term for us compared to term one and two. I personally had a lot of technical issues this term as I lost a lot of work on my computer which I had to redo from scratch. This was obviously very time consuming and slowed me down. This affected the group as they needed to see my work in order for the project to progress. I appreciate the support and understanding that my colleagues showed me during this time as we were all under a lot of pressure to get the work done. We created action plans of what was left to do in the project and deligated the remainder of the work amongst ourselves. Rahul was recruited into the team mainly to be a freelancer who would work on small scenes and after effects. Alex and myself undertook the responsibility of directing the whole production of the film on top of working on it from start to finish. We did modelling, animating, lighting, texturing, sound, concept art, storyboarding, animatics, productions, posters, logos, contracts, production schedules, organising meetings and directing. We continually changed and developed ideas as we went along so much so that our final storyline is nothing like the original storyline Kanika had written. The work load was immense and at times we did not think we would make it to the end but we did, and I think we did it pretty well.
The end result of the film in my opinion is a success. I am proud of my group for all the hard work they put into the project and I am also proud of myself for rising to the challenge that this project became. I am staisfied with the hard work I delivered and am pleased that I did not let my team members down by not pulling my own weight.
Though I am proud of the film there are a few things that I would change if I were to do this project again. The first being the length of the animation. To be on the safe side I would make it shorter only because a longer film runs the risk of losing the audiences attention if the storyline is not engaging enough, but I guess this will have to be left to the viewers disgression. Alex and I worked independently when it came to the animation side of things. He created his slides and I created mine. However, when we both came together every week we found that certain things needed to be modified. Though we wanted the secens that we worked on to be different to one-another to show our own individual artistry, we also wanted them to look united, and part of the same film too. One of the main things that aided us well in our group was our time management and level of communication. This, as-well-as our hard work was the key to our success.
As I have said before, I am grateful for the commitment and devotion my team members put into the project because this made my life a lot easier given the circumstances. I would like to say a big thank you to my tutors Jarred Taylor, Dan Darley and Mike Smith for all their feedback and input, Robert Newman for co-ordinating the sound, Rahul Allen for being the most amazing freelancer and last but not least, my co-producer Alex Bedminster with whom I would have been very lost without.
The film was a success with just the two of us working on it. At times I wonder if it would have been just as good or better had we had all the original members in our group. Though there was a lot of workload working in a smaller group, I feel in a way it was an advantage for us because co-ordinating a larger group would have left more room for error. Alex and I knew that the majority of the work fell on our shoulders so we knew what we had to do from the start. If we had had all our members on board and some decided to slack off at any point I doubt we would have been able to pick up the pieces as successfully as we have done.

No comments:

Followers